There’s nothing better than spending a summer day on the Chesapeake Bay. The clear blue water and sunny skies provide a much-needed break from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. And it’s not just our opinion either; science agrees! Dr. Wallace Nichols suggests that being around water improves health by decreasing heart rate, alleviating stress and promoting a higher sense of well-being.
This is great news for residents of Anne Arundel County. On the Chesapeake Bay and home to multiple large rivers, the region is perfect for water activities such as boating.
So, where are the best places for boating in Anne Arundel? Read on to find out where to drop your anchor.
Best boating in Anne Arundel County
- Sandy Point State Park. This 786-acre park has a dedicated marina and nearly two dozen launch ramps. Whether you have a cartop boat (typically hauled on top of a car, like a canoe or kayak) or want to rent a larger, motorized vessel, this is a fantastic place to spend a Saturday.
- Annapolis Bay Charters. Experienced sailors and landlubbers alike will find something to love in this popular company on the Chesapeake. They offer beautiful sailing yachts for rent. You can get them with a full crew or veteran sailors can take to the seas themselves. Either way, it’s an experience you’re unlikely to forget.
- Spriggs Farm Park. This jewel on the shores of the Magothy River offers stunning views. It’s the perfect area for enthusiasts of cartop boats. Just make sure you fill out an access form before heading out because you will need permission.
- Fort Smallwood Park. One of only two public parks in the County that has a boat ramp, this site is terrific for boaters who don’t have private access to the Bay or Patapsco River. Take the family out for a day of fun and decompression.
- Discover Village. Located just south of Annapolis, this is the other public land where you can launch a motorboat. It opens an hour before dawn and has 38 spots available for tow vehicles or trailers, so it’s good to get there early.
- Mayo Beach Park. Another good area for cartop boaters, Mayo Beach has been called one of the best spots to windsurf in the country. If you’re interested but inexperienced, don’t worry. There are places to practice where the water is only waist-deep. Be aware that it’s not typically open to the public and a permit may be required. Visit the park’s website for more information.
Koch Homes is a luxury home builder that has operated in Anne Arundel County since 1951. Throughout the decades, we’ve built a sterling reputation based on superior craftsmanship and fantastic locations. Many of these boating spots are a short drive from one of our communities. If you’re in the region and enjoy the water, you’ll love living in a Koch home. Contact us today to schedule a consultation. We’ll discuss your needs and find your dream home before you can say “Catamaran!”