Working from home is a hot topic these days due to stay-at-home orders and the social distancing measures required to slow the spread of COVID-19. Even before the pandemic, however, remote work has been increasing steadily for over a decade. The truth is, working from home is going to be a reality for many Americans going forward.
With that in mind, here are our top tips on how to stay productive – and sane – in your home office.
Maintain A Dedicated Workspace
- It may be tempting to grab the laptop and work from your bed, but you should set yourself up in a dedicated home office. That way, you’ll have all your necessary equipment, and it will be a more productive area. Additionally, getting up and moving to your “work” space will put you in the mindset of working (and get you out of the mindset of sleeping). Many Koch Homes models feature large home offices, such as those offered in The Devonshire. Its 16’x13’ space provides the perfect area to be productive.
- Pajamas are not appropriate work attire. This isn’t just some stuffy suggestion, either. Changing into work clothes to work in your home office promotes a feeling of transformation into your “work self.” While this may seem unimportant, it actually fosters a better work-life balance. You don’t want your home self blending in with your work self. That’s the way to get burnt out and break down your boundaries!
Lock Down Your Technology Setup
- Make sure your setup is conducive to working from home. You may need to invest in better headphones, monitors, or keyboards. For example, typing on a laptop keyboard all day is not comfortable. Get a nice keyboard with mechanical keys. Also, ensure your internet bandwidth can meet your needs. If you have a multi-person household, go for a high-speed option that can handle their streaming videos as well as your business activities.
Socialize with Teammates
- Working from home can seem like a solitary endeavor, but strive to socialize with your coworkers when possible. This can take the form of text chatting in collaborative software such as Slack, or video calling them. A little socializing can improve overall morale and make everyone feel like they aren’t alone.
Have A Set Schedule
- Keep standard working hours and let coworkers know what they are. Rolling out of bed whenever you want and starting the day may be fun for a day or two, but it’s another situation where your home life and work life start to merge. Keep them separate by having set times when you will and will not be working. When you’re off work, don’t be tempted to answer frivolous work emails. Value your personal time.
Working from home puts forth a specific set of challenges that should not be ignored. By following these suggestions, your work-from-home experience will be much more pleasant. You’ll be less lonely, less stressed and more productive.
Koch Homes is a premier luxury home builder in the Anne Arundel, MD area. We’ve been in business since 1951 and have built our reputation on fine craftsmanship and fantastic locations. We have offerings that include dedicated home offices. If you’re in the region and are looking to relocate, contact us today to go over your options.