Keeping your home clean is always important – not just during spring cleaning endeavors – and now more than ever! As a general guideline, disinfect surfaces throughout your home regularly and pay extra attention to high-traffic areas. Establish a routine cleaning system to ensure all surfaces, corners, and crevices are periodically cleaned and organized. As warmer weather approaches, here are some tips to help get you started.
It may seem daunting, but getting your house spick and span doesn’t have to be complicated. You don’t need a fancy cleaning service to get things looking fantastic. Here is what we suggest:
Clean the home office
The hustle and bustle of business hours can leave your work area messy and overwhelming. You can combat this clutter by doing the following:
- Collect loose pens and place them in a drawer. Try to have as few writing utensils as possible and go paperless if you can. Write notes on a whiteboard instead, or, if you need paper, consider keeping labeled notebooks and folders to keep your information organized and easily accessible.
- Dust your shelves, computer, lamps and desk to give the room a refined, polished feel.
- Scan important receipts and important documents, then file them away neatly. Toss them annually. Don’t let scraps of paper sit around for months.
Clean the walk-in pantry
Many Koch Homes floor plans feature an amazing walk-in pantry. Keep it clean by following this advice:
- Take everything off the shelves and clean them thoroughly. Pantry shelves accumulate crumbs and stains, so periodically wipe them down to keep them in great shape.
- Reorganize with a plan. Keep similar items next to each other and have an organizational system to find items quickly and establish an organized aesthetic.
- Consider organizing by cuisine if you’re an adventurous cook, or by product type. By grouping food logically you’ll be able to take stock at a glance, and streamline your shopping process.
Clean the hardwood floors
There’s nothing like the luxurious look of natural hardwood floors. Here are our suggestions to have them looking their best:
- Follow the manufacturer’s cleaning instructions. Failure to do so may result in scratches, fading or stains.
- Vacuum first to get any particulates off the floor.
- Use an approved hardwood cleaning solution and mop according to instructions. Do not use too much liquid, or you may warp the beautiful wood.
Clean the quartz countertops
A quartz countertop makes any kitchen look elegant. Keep them pristine by doing the following:
- Wipe them down daily with a damp, soft rag and soap. It’s amazing what standard dish soap and some elbow grease can accomplish. (Hint: it’s clean, sparkling and fresh-smelling countertops.)
- Scrape off stuck on food with a small putty knife. Be gentle and work at the gunk at a shallow angle, nearly parallel, to avoid scratches and chips.
Clean the garage
Garages tend to accumulate junk that doesn’t have an obvious place in the house. If you find yourself with unwanted items in your garage:
- Remove everything, lay it out on your lawn, and take an inventory. Decide what you’ll need in the future, and toss out or donate the remaining items.
- Organize anything that made the cut in their proper spots. Consider using clear, labeled storage bins and wall hooks to maximize space and organization.
Clean stainless steel appliances
A modern kitchen has stainless steel appliances. They look terrific but can be prone to smudges. Here’s how to deal with them:
- Wipe down with a damp rag and dish soap.
- Follow that up with a second wipe down with just a damp rag to remove any residue.
- Wipe up the leftover water with a dry rag to prevent spots.
By following these tips and tricks, you can be well on your way to creating a pristine home environment. Spring cleaning never felt so good!
Koch Homes is a premier home builder that has serviced the Annapolis area for years. Our homes offer fantastic amenities, quality craftsmanship and no compromises. Contact us today to discuss your needs. Your dream home awaits.